“Lateral Side Angle”, a great asymmetric pose for on or off the board.
When to perform
- On your leg training day.
- Any time your emphasis is on strengthening your legs and core.
- As part of your standing warrior series.
- Strengthens the ankles, knees, legs and core.
- Enhances spinal rotation.
- Tones the abdominal organs.
- Works the fascia of the body all the way from the shoulders, to obliques, hips and legs.
- Assists in expanding the thoracic diaphragm for deeper breathing.
- It is a great transitional pose leading to several balancing poses.
Benefits specific to SUP
- It enhances hip strength and mobility assisting with all strokes.
- It enhances shoulder strength and mobility creating a longer and more powerful reach.
- It creates muscle memory for the “back heel tail brace”.
- It assists your balancing ability required for surfer’s stance.
How to perform
- Start in Warrior II position with right leg forward.
- Ground both feet and lift your spine up bending it laterally on the right side. Keep pushing through the outside of your back foot.
- Place you right forearm on your right thigh, palm facing the sky.
(*) If you wish for more of a challenge, straighten your right arm bringing your forearm off your thigh.
- Reach your left forearm up towards the sky, rotate the palm forward and then extend it forward as a continuation of the rest of the side of your body.
- Hold for several seconds to a minute before coming out of the pose and repeat on opposite side.
This pose can be performed statically or in a flow.
This is not a medical statement, but a set of remarks concerning a particular hatha yoga pose. If you are under medical supervision and/or you have any questions whether or not to proceed with the following, please consult with your health professional.
Any questions? Ask us!!
See you knee deep on the water or on the hot mat and as Ganesha would say, “Enjoy Life and Feed Your Rat!”
As seen in Yoga Journal, Washington Post, The London Sunday Times, Coastal Living, Glamour, Shape, Out Traveler, and many more, the Yoga Energy Studio is bringing to you Primal Lifestyle Coaching, Private Consultations, Body-Weight & Movement Training, Up-skilled Teacher Training Programs, Adventure Coaching, SUP & Yoga and Kayoga.
We are also a SUP GUIDE and outfitter destination. We paddle almost every day, we have no sales pitch, only great advice on paddling! Train with us and get ready to say a hearty YES to your next adventure.
Om Shreem Hreem Kleem Shreem Lakshmi Ragachchha Gachchh Mam Mandire Tishth Tishth Swaha